Update, 2:32 p.m.:
Apparently after tonday's announcement, the Islanders revealed this new logo...
...man there are some real creative people on the internet.
H/T to reader Jamie F.
The New York Post reports that the Islanders will announce today that they will be moving to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn when their lease with Nassau County ends in 2015.
The Post adds that the Islanders will keep their name.
...while I despise the Islanders, it's great to hear that one of the Rangers biggest rivals will not be moving to Kansas City.
...heard that DiPietro had to approve the Barclays Center's training room before the deal was completed.
I, for one, am happy the the Islanders are staying within rival distance.
Now that they'll be in a new building and closer to the greatest city in the world then maybe they can draw some better free agents to help the team and compete,
I read this a while ago and it was a shocker. Thats because I'm a Ranger fan living in Brooklyn :P. And i also heard that Dynamo(Ovechkins team) will be playin at Barclays in Jan 21 and 23.
I don't live in New York but is this really still our biggest rivalry? It seems like it's a rivalry in name only now. The Islanders fans look disinterested, and the team is so well adjusted to sucking that they don't seem to even treat it like a rivalry. But anyway, I'm glad Brooklyn will have hockey. I just feel bad for Brookly that their hockey will suck.
@TheNYRBlog. A new logo or arena will not do much for same shitty team with no fans. Bettmen should be working on CBA
@TheNYRBlog ja, they should use that logo, its perfect, and can probably find great enforcers right in Bed-Stuy! Just say'in
They will get devils going there too...oh that's right devils don't even go to the rock unless it is the Stanley cup
the move makes them closer to the garden. But the capacity for Barclays for ice surface is pretty limited.
There are pluses and negatives to this.
1. Keeping the rivalry strong and even closer
2. Giving this team a new arena will hopefully bring in some talent. I mean who really wanted to go and play at the Nassau Vomitorium that was being held up by asbestos, blood, Bobby Nystrom's hair plugs, Mike Bossy's sweat and Potvin's tears.
3. For those 493 devoted Islander fans the commute will be a bit more difficult, but at least they get to see their team play.
1. A huge loss for Long Island. As someone who grew up on LI, the Islanders were a part of being a Long Islander (unless you were a Ranger fan like me). The Mausoleum needs to be condemned.
2. So much for affordable ticket prices for Islander fans.
3. The Barclays is the worst and smallest arena for hockey. Obstructed views are just the beginning.
4. The only way to get there is public transportation. Long Islanders better get the LIRR schedules down pat.
Good for them... the Coliseum was an absolute crap hole and not even worthy of an AHL team. I can't stand them but they are a great rival and deserve to be in NY. They are going to have to come up with a solution to funky seating arrangement there though. If they sign a 25 year lease I bet they do renovations quickly. Now I can take the G Train from the Burg to see the Rangers play in Brooklyn!!!
I live several blocks from that shitshow but I will be happy to watch our Rangers destroy them in my backyard. Nothing like walking to a Rangers game.
@TheNYRBlog @TheBroadwayHat How did the #brooklynislanders ruin their ice? They skated on it before it was cool. #hipsters
@TheNYRBlog It sucks sucks SUCKS because I used to be able to drive to a NYR game on LI in 30 mins and have great seats. #endofanera
as a rangers fan i always had to drive to long island and it was a royal pain., this is easier for me as now i cago via train from nj and then a subway!
If it's significantly cheaper than MSG, I will be in attendance, though my allegiance will remain with the Rangers.
This will be a lesson for too many New Yorkers, but the Islanders will still be islanders as Brooklyn is geographically a part of Long Island.
Did they already build a rink under the court there? Seems like this was in the blueprints from the beginning.