Carpiniello has full quotes here. While Andrew Gross of Rangers Rants has more from breakup day here.
Rick Carpiniello at the Rangers Reports gives us highlights of the Rangers breakup day...
- Marian Gaborik said he would love to have a set line next year, and mentioned that we all know who the free-agent centers are (read: Brad Richards) and that the team usually does what's needed to get the free agent help it requires. Gaborik also admitted that he struggled with Torts' system which he says was different from last year when he scored 42 goals.
...i hate excuses. Just put the puck in the net please.
- Henrik Lundqvist, who is undecided on the Worlds, says at 29, he's starting to think about how many more cracks he might get at the playoffs.
- Brandon Dubinsky said that he wants to be back, the Rangers want him back, so let's not waste each other's time in contract negotations.
...get er done.
- Sean Avery talked about not being able to commit turnovers and penalties and how that effected his game, and how he decided to just go back to the way he always played in the playoffs, and that "risk/reward" style is the way he has to play from now on.
...so it wasn't Torts' fault.
- Dan Girardi is looking forward to some healing time. He said he won't need any procedures, just rest.
- Vinny Prospal doesn't know what to expect, but wants to come back.
...sorry Vinny its been great having you on the team, but it's time to move on.
Hate hearing Hank talk like that. I think he's just tired. The guy played 31 games in a row. Take a rest man. Also gaborik needs a center. I think Richards would do the trick obviously. When does free agency begin?
I disagree with you about "just put the puck in the net." When you have a coach (and coaches) drilling you on how you should be playing — you play differently. You don't have a choice. Gaborik was top on the team in scoring despite his injuries. Look at the Caps "new system" and how Ovechkin no longer scores a million goals or takes a million shots. Difference is...they have a full team to back them up (with scoring, etc.) so it's not a total detriment.
Also, Gaborik isn't a "grinder" and shouldn't be the one hustling the puck through the neutral zones or constantly having to dig the puck out of the corners because of the "dump and chase" strategy that this team LOVES. That style is ok for the other guys...but the top line has to be flying around the ice...not assholes-to-elbows in the trenches.
@_Jack His job is to put the puck in the net, period. Figure it out. Yes, Ovechkin's goals were down but he still scored 32 goals. Gabby scored 22 with 12 being in 3 games. So he scored just 10 goals in 59 games. I'm sorry that's on him.
Hate to disagree with you kev... but no way Prospal should be let go. No way in hell... get him on another one year deal. Let Feds go, not Prospal. 9 goals in 29 games. Keep him...
@ivanricov To old and injury prone. Team isn't contending next year get a young guy some experience.
@Stepanzeebridge He still has three years left on his contract he's not going anywhere. Plus by the time his contract is up you hope the Rangers plan to build is at its peak and they are contending for a Cup.